Guignard

Nova Friburgo, RJ, 1896 –

Belo Horizonte, MG, 1962

 

With intense teaching activity, Guignard had the important role of consolidating modernism and training modernist artists who were looking for a language beyond the Academy. He created groups such as the Guignard, in which he gave drawing and painting lessons. He taught artists such as Iberê Camargo (1914 - 1994), Waldemar Cordeiro (1925 - 1973) and Amilcar de Castro (1920 - 2002). And he was invited by then-mayor of Belo Horizonte, Juscelino Kubitschek, to manage the School of Fine Arts - Escola de Belas Artes, in 1944.

 

He studied Visual Arts in Germany, France and Italy up to 1929, when he entered the Brazilian cultural scene through his contact with Ismael Nery (1900 - 1934). He participated in the Salão Revolucionário (Revolutionary Hall) in 1931, which for the first time, bringing together works by modernist artists and was distinguished by Mário de Andrade (1893 - 1945) as one of the revelations at the exhibition. Among the various genres of painting he dedicated himself to - landscapes, still nature, sacred art, etc., - portraits represent his most well-known artwork and constitute most of his artistic output.

Rua Caconde 152

01425 – 010 São Paulo SP 

+55 11 3882 7120

galeria@almeidaedale.com.br

Funcionamento:

Seg – Sex: 10h às 19h